Korea has four C’s that are their pride in their cuisine – cheese, chilli, coffee and most importantly, chicken. Yangnyeom chicken is known as “seasoned fried chicken” and one of Korea’s signature food.
It’s one of the most popular flavours along with original fried chicken. I started this recipe when I discovered the spicy korean chicken stew (닭볶음탕) marinade sauce. Trying it the first time and it tasted exactly as the sauce they put on the chicken back in Korea.
It’s not just pouring the sauce on it though, you also need to batter your chicken with breadcrumbs for a more crunchy fried chicken taste. Enjoy the recipe below!
- 2 pieces of chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons of white sesame seeds
- 1 garlic
- 1 spicy chicken stew marinade sauce (닭볶음탕)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 spring onion
- 1 egg
- Panko breadcrumbs
- White pepper
- Sesame oil
- Add the seasoning to the breadcrumbs and flour in two separate bowls. Have a bowl for the egg ready. After this is done, cut the chicken into 8-9 smaller pieces.
- Battering the chicken comes first. You must do so in this order: flour, egg and then breadcrumbs so the seasoning can coat the chicken nicely too.
- Fry them in sesame oil and leave the lid on. Check the chicken every 5-7 minutes to make sure it’s not burning the batter.
- Once it’s brown, add the spring onions, garlic and soy sauce.
- Lastly add the marinade sauce to cover. the chicken.
- Once it settles, add the sesame seeds for a nice, finishing touch.