Kirk is an author and the founder of the blog, Jamaipanese. He expressed his interest to write and share his potluck recipe here. Note: There is a step to marinate chicken overnight so please do that beforehand.
Spicy Honey BBQ Chicken recipe is perfect for when going to a potluck, having a movie night, a party, or if you are lazy like me and want a simple easy-to-follow recipe? What makes this dish shine extra brightly is that it can be paired with rice, bread, fries, and even udon noodles. Make it into a whole meal with some potato salad, kimchi, and a light soup. Honestly, The combinations are endless.
This recipe is a slight modification of a family recipe to make it more bachelor-friendly and uses easy-to-source ingredients and adds a lot more spiciness. As a child honey barbeque chicken was my most requested meal and was often a reward for doing well on tests or for movie nights.
- 500 – 600 grams of chicken drumettes
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Scotch bonnet pepper sauce
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ cup of BBQ sauce
- ⅓ cup of natural honey
- ⅓ cup of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of jerk seasoning
- 1 small potato (optional)
- Season the chicken drumettes with jerk seasoning, salt, black pepper. Leave in the fridge to marinate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- In a small bowl combine BBQ sauce, honey, ketchup, chili powder, and pepper sauce and mix well.
- Coat marinated drumettes and place in a square glass baking pan. Cover chicken with excess sauce
- Place in preheated oven and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 35- 40 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and continue baking for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: Add potato slices cut into wedges between chicken drumettes during step 5.